CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Can school officials interrogate a minor student without the

Customer Question

Can school officials interrogate a minor student without the parents & use the informations gathered to expell said student?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Yes, a school can question a student regarding a disciplinary proceeding without the parents being present.

There are however safeguards and procedural rights in place for students facing discipline, or subject to discipline, by their school (much of which is dependent on written school policies as opposed to the state ed code, so you will want to get a copy of the school's policy in addition to the following link): http://saclaw.org/articles/school-discipline-edl/ gives you a good overview of the basic protections, but also has excellent resources embedded which give you much more detailed discussions and resources to supplement this overview.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer is pretty much the same as what I've learned while doing some research. Fee that I paid doesn't have equal value for the information I got.

Dear Customer,

While I can only answer the question as it is asked, I will of course send your question to our Customer Service.