Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

I have a student loan consolidation company which is going

Customer Question

I have a student loan consolidation company which is going really well, we are compliant or at least trying to be as much as we can. How much can we charge to prepare documents for the consumers. What is a reasonable amount
Category: Education Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also if the clients give us the power of attorney to log on to the client FSA account on their behalf and submit the online documentation needed. Is that OK? As long as we have the signed agreement?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Reasonable is not set in any laws, as you are likely finding out. Generally, reasonable is looked at based on the total loans. Charging someone .5% on loans of up to $100,000 or maybe .25% on loans over $100,000, would be likely reasonable and it is not likely anything more than maybe 1% would be reasonable. It all depends on the circumstances of each loan and what the amount of loans are you are consolidating as to what would be deemed reasonable. If this sounds vague, it is vague because there is no real law or guidance on what someone can charge or what is really reasonable or not.
If you have a signed contract that gives you PoA to access that site, you have legal authority to do so and it is not illegal.