KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

My sons grades are suffering terribly after major abdominal

Customer Question

my sons grades are suffering terribly after major abdominal surgery and the onset of depression. Our school in NY State did not want to offer a transition program that would have eased him back into school and helped him catch up. They did give him a pass on one semester but did nothing to help him with his studies. Now they want to talk about home schooling as our son seems to not even want to be in school. a fair amount of the issue stems from him being bullied and the school not doing anything to help. We want to know what rights we have in the form of specific programs or assistance NYS requires the school to provide if we ask. We don't know what to do at this point to help our son. He is highly intelligent but has learned to hate school due to the social environment. His surgery and battle with crohn's disease for the past 7 years.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

All NYS schools must offer special education mediation. Your sons surgery and subsequent learning issues can be categorized as a injury or a disability. The school may have violated the IDEA the NYS law regarding education and students with a disability. You should submit a signed complaint to the NYS Education Department and request an impartial hearing to resolve the schools unwillingness to properly assess and assist your son with his post surgery learning and education needs.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.