Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

My daughter is a senior at Saranac gh school, Saranac New

Customer Question

My daughter is a senior at Saranac High school, Saranac New York. She was seeking her advanced Regents diploma since 9th grade. In 10th grade she had to drop her common core geometry class and went to algebra 2. We were the told she was okay to still get her advanced diploma. The school never contacted me regarding this not being case and my daughter was told by guidance she was fine. In her junior year, she took geometry but was not prepared for the senior regent,s level trig/college algebra/pre calculus common core regent's level class. The teacher did not recommend, in fact she said my daughter had no business going into the next senior level course. Those students who had not followed like my daughter the regular math program but we're recommended received the back work needed prior to the start of this school year. My daughter received none of it. We were never told my daughter was in trouble. We were never told she was not recommended for this class. My daughter was told of the situation when she entered the class in September the teacher told her she was not going to pass. No one said she wasn't recommended. I went to guidance immediately. I was told that she would be fine. They could handle it. Now in January four months before graduation, the teacher told my daughter she has no chance of passing. I had to call the teacher. I had to contact administration and was just now informed of the problem and how dire the situation is. Saranac wants her to drop the class and take the non regents class. She will not get her advanced diploma. She had mastery level in all other classes. She took college level classes in junior and senior in all other areas. She had been a student in this district since kindergarten. They are claiming that because the state changed the curriculum during her time in high school this is not their fault. No documentation was ever sent home regarding my daughter's math issues. No one called. They had to know prior to her senior this was going to be a problem. What is their culpability on this matter. I know this is more likely too late for them to rectify her diploma situation but I think they are still culpable and should have to pay for what they have done. Do we have a case?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Do you believe that the district or school is under some type of legal obligation to notify you of her troubles? If so, are you basing this on a particular document, such as a handbook, etc.?

WHat curriculum changes were made by the state?