Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

My question is... Do I have to pay back my daughters student

Customer Question

Hi My name is ***** ***** my question is... Do I have to pay back my daughters student loan? She was paying for it until she found out her father and I split up. I'm a single mother now and they are threatening to garnish my pay. Is there anything I can do to have this removed off my name?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Ada,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did you co-sign for the student loan?

2. Was she a minor when she took out the loan?

3. Where is your daughter living now?

Doug