Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Can the District display my son's name (first name, last

Customer Question

Can the District display my son's name (first name, last initial) on the school marquee for his birthday. Also displaying month and day (not year) (e,g, Happy Birthday! Carson, W. 1/10)?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

There are no laws against it. But if you do not want this displayed you can certainly ask the principal not to display the information. If a school does this for all students, the parent who does not want it to be posted needs to "opt out" of the policy otherwise, if the child is not posted while every other student is a parent could say the school was being prejudicial. So to avoid that allegation, any policy must be applied across the board. But a parent can request an Opt Out.