Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

I have just received an email from my professor suspecting

Customer Question

Customer: i have just received an email from my professor suspecting me of violating the academic and Dishonesty and Plagiarism Policy. how do i respond?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was in a last minute rush to submit my paper and i submitted the wrong paper with a high similarity
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When you say, "high similarity" was it plagiarized? If it was, even if you submitted the wrong paper you are going to have some explaining to do. Give us a few more details please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the Plagiarized
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the paper the wrong paper I submitted was Plagiarized but i had the one that wrote myself i just uploaded the wrong one
Thank you for your reply.
The only thing you can do in this case is send the professor a response informing him that you sent in the wrong paper and that was not the paper you intended to submit. You have to claim that you were running late and you printed the wrong paper by accident and never noticed that it was the wrong one and that you would ask him to allow you to submit the correct paper you intended to submit to him. This is all you can argue because he has you for just submitting the paper you submitted, so you need to seek sympathy from him regarding submitting the wrong paper and not realizing you did so until he pointed it out to you. If the professor refuses to accept that excuse from you though, I am sorry to say you will have to bear the responsibility for submitting this to him and you will have to then argue the mitigating circumstances to the academic violations board to try to keep the penalty against you minimum, such as a letter of reprimand, because the one thing you cannot get around is the fact that it was submitted to the professor. You have to convince him it was a mistake and not intentional.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you help me draft a letter that i can send to him about this?
Thank you for your reply.
While I cannot draft the letter for you, that is against state law and site policy, I can review what you wrote and make suggestions to you about your arguments.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is the response i have drafted. Please adviceDear professor,
I understand that it is the duty and responsibility of the instructors to report submitted papers that they believe are plagiarized. However, I take pride in the work that I complete and in no way intended to plagiarize another students' work. I diligently submit all of my assignments to the plagiarism checker and revise the papers as needed especially if there is a high percentage of similarity. I submitted the assignments in questions in stress and a rush after days of no sleep and hours in front of the computer trying to make at least a 70% on the Final exam and when I realized late Sunday night that I had not submitted my final paper I then panicked and in that rush uploaded the wrong paper to the plagiarism checker and did not receive the results immediately. But letter on I realized that I have submitted the wrong paper I went back to try to resubmit and it was late, I then uploaded the correct paper on Loe. I do not have access to other students' previously submitted papers and was unaware that my paper would be similar to another students'. I was completely unaware that the report would show such a similarity. Again I do not have access to any other students' papers and do not feel that I am in violation of the Academic Code of Conduct. Please have mercy and accept the last copy of the paper I submitted on Leo instead of the paper I submitted in turnitin. I worked so hard on this paper a copy was submitted to the writing center for view.
Thank you for your reply.
Try this:
I understand that it is the duty and responsibility of the instructors to report submitted papers that they believe are plagiarized. However, I take pride in the work that I complete and in no way intended to plagiarize another students' work. I diligently submitted all of my assignments to the plagiarism checker and revise the papers as needed especially if there is a high percentage of similarity.
I submitted the assignments in question by mistake due to stress, as I was in a rush after days of no sleep and hours in front of the computer trying to make at least a 70% on the Final exam and it was not the paper that I had written and intended to submit. When I realized late Sunday night that I had not submitted my final paper I panicked and in my haste uploaded the wrong computer file to the plagiarism checker and did not receive the results immediately. When I saw later that I submitted the wrong paper, I did go back to try to resubmit and it was late, I did ultimately upload the correct paper on Loe, which you should have seen and should be aware of. This shows that the previous submission was a horrendous mistake on my part and was no way an intent to submit that paper for a grade. I was completely unaware that I submitted the wrong paper until it was too late. Had I intended to submit that paper as my own I understand it would have been a violation of the Academic Code of Conduct, but this was an unintentional act and a mistake for which I should be given some consideration. Please have mercy and understanding that mistakes can occur when someone is in a rush and sleep deprived as I was and I ask that you accept the last copy of the paper I submitted on Leo instead of the paper I submitted in turnitin. I worked so hard on this paper and submitted a copy to the writing center for review, so checking with the writing center will support my contention that the other paper was erroneously submitted. Thank you for your consideration on this matter.