Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My wife and I live in NC and live down the street from an 18

Customer Question

My wife and I live in NC and live down the street from an 18 year old young man who is finishing up his Sr. Yr. in high school. His adopted mother, a "Blue Blood" who doesn't hesitate to call him a "Russian bastard" feels that he has worn out his welcome and should be out of the house, she doesn't want him and she just assumes that we will take him in while he works on his diploma.
Doesn't NC state law demand that the bio-parents support the student (room and board) until he graduates?
***** *****
Chocowinity, NC
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

The NC law states the following:

§ 48A-2. Age of minors. A minor is any person who has not reached the age of 18 years

As such if he has reached the age of majority he is consider an adult.

I suggest what you are referring to is in a divorce situation where there is child support the NC 50-13.4 states the following:

(2) If the child is still in primary or secondary school when the child reaches age 18, support payments shall continue until the child graduates, otherwise ceases to attend school on a regular basis, fails to make satisfactory academic progress towards graduation, or reaches age 20, whichever comes first, unless the court in its discretion orders that payments cease at age 18 or prior to high school graduation.

And so the answer to your question is No. Parents where the marriage is in tact have no financial or lawful obligation to their child once they reach the age of 18, the age of majority.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification in this regard. Otherwise, thank you in advance for a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you.