Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

Tina, My question is this. My daughter attends the

Customer Question

Hi Tina, My question is this. My daughter attends the university of missouri. she has been present to see the demonstrations and has been intimidated by students. She wants to withdraw from her semester (fall 2015). I would like her to do this and get
our money back from her enrollment of 14 credits. the presence of all the canceling of classes, fear of walking around campus and such has her very upset and disrupted her studies. Do we have any basis for getting the school to allow her to withdraw at this
point?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The school has a duty to present and offer the classes to her. Legally, they are responsible to also provide general safety on campus. Before she can withdraw and claim that the school breached their duty to her, she has to file a complaint with the school for reverse discrimination, bullying and intimidation (they have a duty to investigate). If they refuse to investigate and to stop the treatment she is receiving, only then could she withdraw and sue for refund if they refuse to give her one (as it is beyond the drop add period). Since the school has cancelled so many class they guaranteed her, this is year another basis for them to refund her money based on breach of contract and again if they refuse upon her making a demand, then she has basis to sue them for the refund.