Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

My 11 year old grandson has been accused of punching a

Customer Question

My 11 year old grandson has been accused of punching a teacher in the stomach. There are no witnesses to corroborate her story. Both my grandsons (11 & 6) deny the charge. Plus, the surveillance cameras happen to be out of order, so there is no visual proof. Yet, the principal is siding with the teacher, has suspended my grandson, and is trying to have him permanently removed from school. What is my recourse?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Your only recourse now is an appeal to the school board I am afraid. This will come down to your grandson's word against the teacher's word and absent any evidence to the contrary the school board will have to make their determination based on which of the parties they find most credible. If the school board denies your grandson's appeal, then I am afraid that there is no other legal recourse in this matter.