Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Education Law Attorney
18572087

I am a student in nursing school at Rumsey technical

Customer Question

I am a student in nursing school at James Rumsey technical institute in WV. They have an extremely harsh attendance policy in which if a student is even just one minute late to class of back from a 5 minute break they loose an hour each time tardy. We only have 52 hours the entire year for absences (6.5 hours) or tardiness (1 hour) we fail the year if we exceed this. I was wondering is it legal for the school to count the students one hour late for being late to class even just one or two minutes? Or do they need to only count them late for the time they actually were late like 1 minute 3 minutes etc? Literally half the students last year were failed because of this strict policy they have on tardiness whether they had good grades or not. I was just wondering is what they are doing legal? School is tuff and expensive enough without such a strict policy like this hanging over your head.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. To ensure that I do not miss anything, I will go question by question and ensure I respond to each point. I must warn you that some answers may not be as you hoped so I ask that you do not blame the messenger.

You asked:

I was wondering is it legal for the school to count the students one hour late for being late to class even just one or two minutes?

Yes, it is legal. School is ultimately a private entity, and they are free to make whatever rules or regulations they deem fit. And that includes creating a fairly draconian lateness policy.

Or do they need to only count them late for the time they actually were late like 1 minute 3 minutes etc?

No, as they are a private entity, they are free to count lateness as they see fit. Some schools, if you are late, mark a student absent for the day, which is likewise legal.

Literally half the students last year were failed because of this strict policy they have on tardiness whether they had good grades or not. I was just wondering is what they are doing legal? School is tuff and expensive enough without such a strict policy like this hanging over your head.

I am afraid that this is legal, as they are not basing this policy on the work of the student, but on their actual presence at the school. And that is legal.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.