CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My 10yo has an IEP since Kindergarten. Now entering the 5th

Customer Question

My 10yo has an IEP since Kindergarten. Now entering the 5th grade can not keep up with being pulled out of class many times during the day for special ed help. School is supposed to put him into special school this year but nothing has been done. Basically
he has no class to go into when school starts in 2 days. School asked if I could keep him home for some time until they can figure out his placement (which we visited last year and I thought was all approved). I am frustrated and want him to start school on
time. I have a horrible history with this district from my 20 yo. They were also supposed to be supporting her to get into junior college with the necessary assistance but nothing has been done. We have been fighting this since Dec of 2014.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

The school must have a place for your child when school opens.

They cannot ask you to keep your child home (this is very basic Ed. Code law - they never should have even suggested this).

I am very sorry to learn of this matter, and I wish that your child wasn't facing this situation going into 5th grade, but this is when you need to hire a lawyer.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I have no proof - physical - that they asked me to keep him home. This should have never happened. I thought it was all finalized before the end of school last year. Our district is so inadequate. If not resolved by Friday I will find a local lawyer. Thank you.

You are welcome, and I truly do wish you and your child the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill