Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

1. I am trying to find out what the process is to get a

Customer Question

1. I am trying to find out what the process is for trying to get a waiver for a class under the American Disabilities Act, at the college level. 2. Is it legal to make it a requirement for a college program in this country to teach 1 class in Spanish instead
of English when the language of this country is English.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
This depends on the situation. Can you please tell me more about why one wants to force the class to be taught in Spanish rather than English? How does this relate to the disability? What kind of disability is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to help my son. He is 34 with 2 degrees the last one being in nursing. He worked for 4 years as a critical care nurse. The in October of 2013 he started having seizures. He was let go when he had 2 seizures at work and has been unemployed since November 2014. He decided to go back to school for his PA degree. His neurologist has told him from the beginning of the seizures that stress, not enough sleep, and a probable injury to his brain when he was young (although I don't remember anything that serious). His doctor has been trying since 2013 to find the right dosage of Kepra to help with the seizures, his most recent one was 2 weeks ago. Now that you have the background let me explain about the school, he lives in California and is applying to any school with a PA program around Pasadena. 2 of the programs are requiring that one of the required courses to complete the PA program be taken in Spanish, if he is not fluent in Spanish then he will not be considered for the program; the 2nd obstacle is the GRE, both of these road blocks are what concern his neurologist because of the stress factor and most important the area of the brain where learning a language would take place is the same area of the brain that is the location of the seizures he has had since 2013. This is why I am trying to find out about the legality of forcing Spanish on someone to achieve a degree and how we would go about getting a waiver for both the Spanish class and the necessity for the GRE when he already has 2 degrees. I know t might be a little strange that I am trying to get this done for him, but his wife and I are trying to keep him as stress free as possible and dealing with this would, according to his doctor, generate many seizures and we want to avoid that t all cost so any assistance you can help me with will be greatly appreciated. He needs to be able to support he and his wife, but because he lost his job and has had his life turned upside down since 2013, his self esteem is almost non-existent so I am hoping you can helps us find a way out of this dilemma. Thank You *****
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am going to opt out of your question and open it up for other experts. Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.
My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...