Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

The Hutchinson MN school district wants to put an * by any

Customer Question

The Hutchinson MN school district wants to put an * by any grade for a person whodoes not do the whole course load. Even for students with IEP's and other documented issues. For the students with disabilities so they can not complete the full course load is this legal?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Yes, it is lawful, unless the IEP specifically states that talks about individualized grading. See here. Most IEPs focus on behavior, punishment, and special rights for tests, but not so many focus on grading.
So it is possible if the IEP does not discuss it.
Assuming it does not, one may wish to ask the school for extra time to make the grade official, and then to call a meeting to CHANGE the IEP to include a plan for individualized grading. If this fails for this semester, then at the very least the issue can be set in stone (so to speak) for future semesters to come.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.