Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

What are the rights of public school student to attend schools

Customer Question

What are the rights of public school student to attend schools in their own neighborhood?
can students be made to pay to attend schools in another neighborhood because the school in their neighborhood is full due students coming from other neighborhoods even other cities?
Category: Education Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will you give me an answer?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under CA Education Code Chapter 776, there are some things a public school CANNOT charge a student for, but I am afraid transportation is not one of those things that they cannot charge for. See: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_1551-1600/ab_1575_bill_20120929_chaptered.pdf
Thus, the school, if based on school maximum attendance requirements cannot fit in a student to that school closer to them, the CA law allows the student to be assigned to another school and transportation fees can be charged as it is not prohibited under the above CA law.
You have a right to file an appeal to the school board about your child being assigned to another school and ask them to reconsider based on your good cause reasons to try to get them to reverse the school's decision. If they refuse, then the law allows them to charge for transportation to that school or you can bring your child to the school.