Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

My child, as well as others, including other Chinese, Korean

Customer Question

My child, as well as others, including other Chinese, Korean students,were introduced to a Chinese song by a student in 2nd grade who was of Asian descent. In third grade my daughter was accused of singing this Chinese song at the back of a lunch line. She was standing with two other students discussing making a play date since they haven't been able to get together. She was never able to tell the principle who she was standing by and what she was discussing. Needless to say her 3rd grade teacher didn't want to listen to her either. To this day my daughter has been labeled as a racist and each year the teachers that she gets, physiologically abuse her. Along with other students. Things like not putting her in group projects with certain girls, seating arrangements are with boys and away from certain girls. I have some things in writing but a lot is verbal. These teachers and students along with their parents who are teachers and or former teachers know that Physiological bullying is hard to prove. We believe this stems from our daughter dancing and trying to be pushed out of dance. Which she has indeed been pushed out! There is so much more to be said of what has been going on since third grade and all who is involved. My daughter is now going into 7th grade in the Fall and does not want to attend the middle school with these other children. Our school district is refusing to pay for transportation to another school within the district. My daughter's learning environment is not benefitting her as the teachers, principals and students are allowed to condone to make my daughter feel like she doesn't fit in or belong. What can be done? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
How do they claim she is racist for singing a song in Chinese (people today are so stupid and fast to claim something is racist)?
Is it the students who are doing this to her? Have you gone to the school board with your concerns and evidence of the conduct towards your child, since under IL law every school is supposed to have an anti bullying policy and enforce it?
Have you documented as many of these instances as you can document?