Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

I was going to ITT Tech in Desoto, where they give passing

Customer Question

Hi I was going to ITT Tech in Desoto, where they give passing grades to students for not doing the work, teacher's don't know how to teach, but they can sure talk about their kids for 2 hours every day, and some of them don't even know the class content. I was using my post 9/11 GI bill to attend that school, and then I decided that the school is garbage and decided to stop going. Their attendance program is designed to cut students if they miss 3 weeks in a row. I had missed 3 weeks in a row, but the school continued to take money from the government (about 6,500 dollars) and that I now am "responsible" for paying that back to the government, including another 986 in tuition in fees, and 1400 in basic housing allowance. The school sent me a check for 2 thousand dollars but doesn't have any attached explanation as to what it is for. How can I get my money from the school and have it shut down? This school is a fraud center, taking people's money, teaching them nothing, and giving them a piece of paper that says "graduated" on it.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you give an official notice of withdrawal when you first left?

Have you notified the VA who manages the GI Bill about the fraud?

Have you contacted the Texas Department of Education and Texas Attorney General about the alleged fraud?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the school has the attendance program designed to drop students after three weeks of no attendance, I understand that I am required to pay the government for those three weeks for not attending. I just received these letters last night, they enrolled me for the next semester when I was already dropped from the school. The last time I attended school was the first week of may.

I will be notifying the individuals at the VA and the Texas Department of Education and Texas Attorney General. I am going to go online and take screen shots showing that I did not complete the work (they gave me passing grades before I turned them in, so I didn't complete them at that point). It infuriates me that a school exists that is taking people's money so that the school can stay open, after I was military for 6 years, thinking that I would receive the education that I deserved.

Thank you for your reply.

Even though they have a policy to drop students after 3 weeks of non-attendance, you still should have notified them you were withdrawing. That was your liability. However, that being said, you need to cancel your enrollment from this semester in writing and demand a refund of that money. On that letter to ITT you need to make it clear you are sending a copy to the VA as well to notify them that you did not enroll and should not be charged and any money they took from the VA should be returned.

You need to do that in addition to providing the evidence you have to the Department of Education and the Attorney General of the fraud. If the DOE and Attorney General cannot get the money back, then you also would have to file a suit against them for breach of contract and fraud and also for unfair and deceptive practices and take them to court to expose them and seek damages from them (for fraud or unfair and deceptive practices you could potentially get up to triple damages plus attorney's fees).