TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My friends son was a senior this year he did not pass one class

Customer Question

My friends son was a senior this year he did not pass one class so he was not able to graduate. She just found out today there was a student that did not pass English a required course to graduate the school district passed him let him walk with his class and got his diploma. The reason she is upset her son was chosen to play in the north-south basketball game in July due to the fact he did not walk with class he will not be able to play. The other student in question that failed english was chosen to play in the north-south football game. My friend wants to know what she can do about this. Please help she is not gonna let it go.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.
Unfortunately, I do not believe that your friend has any legal recourse. There are two big differences between your friend's child and the other child.
First, you wrote:
"there was a student that did not pass English a required course to graduate the school district passed him"
That seems contradictory. If the school district passed him, then clearly he didn't fail the course. He may have initially failed, but at some point the school district obviously passed him based upon your statement. Accordingly, he did not fail English.
Second, you wrote:
"My friends son was a senior this year he did not pass one class."
There is obviously a very big difference between failing one class, and failing every single class. Accordingly, even if the other student failed English, no reasonable person could possibly compare the two students' academic achievements.
Therefore, I do not believe that your friend could in any way make a successful argument based upon fairness with regard to the different treatment of the two students. Ultimately, I don't see that your friend has a legal argument in her favor. This is why I believe that your friend has no legal recourse.
I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.