rayanswers
rayanswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years representing children and parents.
8534270

Does the school district in MA have the legal right to notify

Customer Question

does the school district in MA have the legal right to notify an IEP students current school about a potential placement to another school?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
It would be normal here for an IEP meeting to be held with you, the other district and his current school.You should be noticed well in advance of such a meeting.The purpose of the IEP is to ensure continuance of his education so that his needs can be discussed with the new school and current problems , progress can be covered.
It really is pretty common practice so the new school can plan for next year and determine staffing needs, any equipment the child might need, etc.They should have told you they would do this but honestly they are planning ahead.
My spouse is in special ed section and planning here is very difficult.They are wanting to make sure they have the proper staff.If they gather information on students and their needs they can hire more staff before school ends as well as equipment.Often the hourly support staff all leave at end of school so trying to do this before school ends makes it easier for them to make sure they have what he needs.
They should have been more forthcoming as to what they were going to do but this is pretty standard when a parent makes inquiry to try and plan ahead.Hiring new staff can take a month to six weeks so they want to plan ahead where possible.
Unless there was a public disclosure I do not see a privacy breach.As long as it was between schools for planning purposes.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best if you decide a move is order.
Have a great Memorial Weekend.
You would want to have a final IEP before schools is out with all those involved to make a smooth transition.
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.
Reference to transition planning..
http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/transition-planning-for-students-with-ieps/
Thanks again.