Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

My daughter Kristin Ranon, who is a student with special needs

Customer Question

my daughter Kristin Ranon, who is a student with special needs (autism spectrum),is graduating from Waipahu high school a public school in Hawaii at the end of this month along with the other students both regular ed and special ed to be held at the neal blaisdel center. My question is does the school have the right to have the students with special needs sit separately from the rest of the graduating class? the students are to be called in alphabetic order and the graduates with special needs are to be escorted by another student. is it fair for the school to separate the students based on their placement and have separate sections for regular ed and special ed?...concerned parent
Category: Education Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kristin is a special education student graduating from Waipahu high school, a public school in Hawaii. Please help me to determine if the school is violating any Special Education Laws by having the students sit in separate sections based on if the student is a regular education student or a special education student. The students will be called up to receive their diploma in alphabetical order. I need an answer asap and if it is unlawful how do I go about making a complaint or what options do I have as a parent. thank you Customer
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
I have reviewed your facts but I need you to be as specific in your question(s) as you can. Some of your questions appear to be rhetorical and others are too general to answer. For instance, when someone in a situation like yours asks "what options do I have", which is a very general question, we have to give general answers like "hire an attorney and file a lawsuit" which usually ends up with the customer saying "I already knew that" even though they don't put that information anywhere in their facts.
I need you to be as specific as you can be in your questions. Also, due to the expense, I can't provide specific case or statutory citations since even a simple search can take hours and will cost hundreds of dollars in legal database fees.