Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

Attended a Corinthian College owned school(Everest College

Customer Question

Attended a Corinthian College owned school(Everest College Merrillville Campus) Graduated in Feb 2015 with a Practical Nursing Diploma. We were given the option to either stop and have our loans forgiven, or continue(teach out) and finish the program. Well when I was given this option, I put 2 years into this Nursing program, and I only had 2 months left. If I had taken the loan forgiveness option, I would have wasted 2 years . The credits didnt transfer anywhere, and I would have to restart somewhere else. A complete waste of 2 years. How is this fair? It's ridiculous. No one cares. Put in a situation like this is ridiculous. Trying to better myself. Corinthian College has filed for Bankruptcy, and are in big trouble with the DOE. I try bettering myself, and end up getting screwed.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to pursue some kind of action against Corinthian. Here is some info about what is going on http://www.npr.org/2015/02/04/383724474/students-at-corinthian-colleges-will-have-loans-forgivenThey misled me, pursued me relentlessly, and like I said in the first statement, I really had no option but to stay and finish the program because I had a few months til I finished. I just couldn't let them forgive my loans, and start everything over. I couldn't afford to waste 2 years. How is that fair? I want to get something going against them. I feel I should get some loans forgiven, they took advantage of students, and need to pay for it.
Thank you for your reply.
You would have had a basis to sue Corinthian for fraud, misrepresentation and breach of contract, but because they filed bankruptcy, you cannot sue them. You would have to file as a creditor in their bankruptcy to seek to get back any of what you paid. The US Bankruptcy Code forbids you from suing them if they are in bankruptcy I am sorry to say.
You also need to file to seek to get your student loans forgiven, since the college took them based on fraud and misrepresentation.
Your only recourse at this point is to seek to have the loans forgiven.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will look into how to file as a creditor. I will try and see what options I have to get the student loans forgiven. Thank you.
Thank you for your reply.
To file as a creditor, you have to contact the bankruptcy court they are filing bankruptcy in and the clerk will get you a creditor claim form.
You also need to talk to the student loan company and they will send you the documents that are needed for asking for forgiveness.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. Thank you.