Tina, Attorney
Experience:  Over 20 years business and legal experience.
4460311

My name is ***** ***** dismissed from school becouse school

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** ***** dismissed from school becouse school refused give reasonable accommodation in class room as student veteran with moderated PTSD.WHAT are rights.What i have to do
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
What is the reasonable accommodation you requested? What was the university's reason for refusing your request?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have PTSD 3 stage,wich obligate school to give me resanoble accommadation in class room as day by day queidance of test and skills testing /its nursing programm/ as give me extra time for test.But they gave me just part time and no accommodation in class room. school has my diagnosis from my psyciatrist.And i called to department of education in washington and they told to file complains, but i want to know did school has right to refus to give class room accommodation.thanks
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Typically the school would be required to provide a requested accommodation, provided it is not an undue hardship to the school and it is reasonably related to your disability, PTSD.
Instead of trying to pursue this on your own, I would recommend looking for a local attorney to take your case on a contingency fee basis if possible, so there is no fee unless they prevail on your behalf.
You can contact the state bar association for referrals to attorneys who handle disability discrimination cases in education.
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.,but you did not answer my question. Did school has right to refused to give a student veteran resonable accommodation in class room or not
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
It is not a yes or no answer unfortunately, but depends on all the facts of your case. Unless they claim it is an undue hardship or the accommodation is not reasonably related to your disability, then yes they should provide the requested accommodation.
The applicable statutes require them to provide the accommodation if you are disabled as defined by the statutes and it is not an undue hardship and the accommodation is reasonably related to your disability.