How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 116246
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to get my daughter out of her current school

This answer was rated:

I am trying to get my daughter out of her current school into a new school. I am a single mom and can no longer afford the tuition and my daughter has been getting picked on at school and one girl even got physical and nothing is really being done about it. They wont give me her transcripts until i am caught up but i dont have $3000 just sitting around but i need her enrolled somewhere else asap i cant keep her in this school. do u have any advice im running out of ideas
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under the Federal Educational Records Privacy Act, the school cannot withhold records from a student, but the law does not prevent the school from providing official records when payment is owed to them. Thus, they do not legally have to send an official transcript to anyone if money is due, but under FERPA they have to provide her or her legal guardian an unofficial copy. You would have to explain to the new school the problem and if the old school will not provide the unofficial transcript under FERPA then you would file a complaint with the Department of Education. PA Code, BEC 22 Pa. Code §12.31, provides

If a private school withholds academic records or refuses to issue an official transcript, public school administrators may seek and accept information that appears reliable for student placement as proof of successfully completed coursework. Sources of reliable information may be report cards or sworn affidavits of private school teachers.

If reliable information cannot be obtained, the principal in consultation with the appropriate teacher(s) should evaluate the student promptly and determine the appropriate grade and/or courses for that student. The evaluation should consist of an interview and demonstration of the degree to which the student has achieved the academic standards of the Department of Education and the school district as required in 22 Pa. Code §4.12 and §4.13.

I am afraid that is all the law actually provides for.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Education Law Specialists are ready to help you