Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert
59725966

I thought I downloaded a book from the library and looked in

Customer Question

I thought I downloaded a book from the library and looked in Archived Items. I can't find it. What are the steps to get it on my device?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Amazon Kindle. Age - probably 5 or 6 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: First time I ever tried to use a library book.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's my only question for now.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 days ago.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It has been off and on many times. I downloaded this book (or thought I did) before my vacation. Couldn't find it. The Kindle has been on and off several times over the two week vacation.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No phone call. I'm not paying any more.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 days ago.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

Please complete the specific reset steps I mentioned above.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
done
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 days ago.

Thank you,

now go into the tools/menu and choose the SYNC option. Does the book show at that point?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I am not finding the tools/menu.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 days ago.

Which specific model kindle do you have?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Kindle 3.4.2
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for confirming, that is the original keyboard model, so the menu is a bit different.

Can you tell me how you downloaded the library book?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
In the settings mode (trying to find my Kindle version) I hit menu and it listed "Sync & Check for items". Is this what I want? That selection says I have no new items. Does that sound like it did not download?
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 days ago.

That is what I was trying to get you to, yes.

But that is really just to sync with the amazon servers.

If you were getting a book file from a local library, that goes though their own site/service, which is a different process.

Many libraries books will not work on these old kindles, or will only work if manually downloaded through a computer/usb connection

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I should call the library for help?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I recall doing this through the computer (usb connection)
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 days ago.

That is what I would recommend at this point.

They may be able to email you the book file, and if so then I can guide you through doing this on your own computer,

or if you have to go back I can give you the steps to do it on their computer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you. I will contact them.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My local library has a help lab for e-reader users on Monday. I will go there and see if I can figure this out. Thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 days ago.

Great! If you need more help after speaking with them, feel free to get back in touch anytime.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,