Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

I have not used my amazon kindle for a very time. when I try

Customer Question

I have not used my amazon kindle for a very long time. when I try to buy a book it will not allow me to do it. Appears it wants me to update my payment method. I have tried to go into kindle to complete that process but can't get it work..
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: it is an amazon kindle. where do it locate the model
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: for over a year. haven't used the device in a very long time, decided to look for book to purchase. the only thing I have tried is to go into the settings where it asks if you already have account. unfortunately I can't remember what email address and password ***** registered it under. email possibly could be***@******.***
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: am I just able to go into the area where it says if u don't have an account, I can create an account. can I go ahead and create one under my name
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, e-readers and printers. If you haven't used your Kindle in a very long time, I suspect that you may have missed a mandatory update last spring for all Kindles. Without that update, older Kindles will no longer connect to the internet. My guess is that is if you try to create a new account you won't be able to because you won't be able to actually connect to the internet to do it. Do go ahead and try it since I've checked and there is no Amazon Account associated with***@******.***. If there were, I'd be able to reset the password.

If you're unable to setup a new account on the Kindle, let me know. That will mean that you definitely need the missed update in order to fully connect to your wifi.