Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert
59725966

I hav a new Nook. I plugged it in to charge it and left it

Customer Question

I hav a new Nook. I plugged it in to charge it and left it on "charge" for two or three days. Now all I get on the screen is a tiny triangle at the bottom of the screen.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Brand new got it for christmas. I can send you the Serial number .
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I press the power button and get a "power Off" message.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the nook. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 30+ seconds, then release. Give the nook about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I held the start button down for about 20 seconds and the device seemed to come alive. Screen read "powered by android" for a few seconds. The "nook" with three blinking dots below for several seconds. Then that disappeared and screen was blank except for a small triangle near the bottom and left of center.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Please repeat it again, being sure to hold the full 30+ seconds.

You may need to do this 4-5 times before it takes effect.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I followed your instructions about 18 times. No change. The moving dots routinr lasted about nine or ten toimes and then the screen returned to the "back arrow' at the bottom left. Several times I waited at least a minute to see if anything happened. It didn't.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for trying. This is unfortunately indicative of a hardware failure at this point.

The next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the nookrecently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the nook into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The nook will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
FYI the pamphlet that came with the device called it Model 7. I'll recharge and try the computer hookup.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know how it works out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just tried the computer hook-up. The computer responded with the "ding" that I associate with it communicating with a peripheral - or maybe that it knows something is connected- I guess I don't know exactly what it means. Anyhow, the Nook cameon with the "Nook & moving dots on the screen. A few seconds later it stopped and went to the "back arrow" display
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

This does unfortunately confirm a hardware failure at this point. That is something that would require repairs to correct, however repairs for these units are simply not feasible, it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one.

If replacing, I'd highly recommend you consider a kindle fire instead: http://amzn.to/2i4n4xK

They cost less and are much better quality hardware and are better supported too. They also have far more books available, and you can load a nook app to the kindle to let you continue reading your prior BN purchases.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,