Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician
Experience:  E-Reader Technician
62741268

My kindle does not charge, Does it have a battery in it that

Customer Question

my kindle does not charge, Does it have a battery in it that needs replaced?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: [t is an Amazon kindle fire it is maybe 4 years old it came with no information packet it was given to me
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: about a week i have tried a different cord i do not know what to try
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not know much about electronics my grandsons help me with my computer be do not know about the kindle
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Randy Boman replied 1 month ago.

Those models are known to have a bad charge port.

If that is the case then the best option will be to get another Kindle.

unfortunately this does sound like it might be a hardware issue. We will need to rule out the possibility of a firmware issue by resetting the software, using a force reset method while USB charging. If this fails then there is an hardware issue on the device that software troubleshooting can't resolve. Try these steps please>Connect the usb charger to the kindle and a wall outlet charger. Then Slide or press and hold the power switch for 40 second, then release. Wait 15 minutes then power on and check. If that fails and you are sure that the charger is working properly then that means the kindle has a hardware failure.
Usually the cost to repair is too much and the best option is to purchase a new or refurbished kindle which is a good value,

You can read the books from another device or computer while you are getting the kindle replaced with the Kindle app which is available for most major smartphones, tablets and computers. That means with your free Kindle reading apps, you can buy a Kindle book once, and read it on any device with the Kindle app installed.