Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We have an older Kindle that hasn't been used in a while. We

Customer Question

We have an older Kindle that hasn't been used in a while. We charged it but it will not respond. Does it need a new battery?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I'm not sure. It was a gift to my wife. It is more of an entry level model 4-5 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Haven't tried any trouble shooting because it will not turn on even after thorough charging. There is a single button at the bottom of the device and it does not respond.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No...
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

It's possible the Kindle needs a new battery, but more often than not it needs to be rebooted. So please try these steps and if they do NOT work- simply reply on this page with the MODEL of the Kindle, and I can search for the battery.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute). If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots. If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times. If the device still does not work beyond that, then please reply back with the Model of the Kindle and we can proceed. If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credite