Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

I have been using my Kobo ereader for 2 years now. It's

Customer Question

I have been using my Kobo ereader for 2 years now. It's power on/off switch has stopped working. How can I get it fixed/
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There seems to be no facility for repairing the Kobo e-reader device, except perhaps if the battery itself is what is wrong with it.

This may be owing to the repairs usually costing greater than just replacing the device - a problem whether from your point of view, or Kobo's point of view.

Your Kobo is indeed out of warranty coverage - so unless it has a defective battery, Kobo will not service/replace it.

What exactly is wrong with the power switch? broken, non-functional without exterior signs, or something else?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It does not look broken, but has stopped working as of yesterday. Initially I thought that the screen was frozen so used the aperture at the bottom of the device to shut it down. Then I found that I can turn it on or off only through that manner instead of through the on/off switch at the top.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for the response.

...But, the Kobo does run, once you use the reset button / aperture ? for a considerable period, more than a few minutes, with full function?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 days ago.

I wish to offer my apologies: while looking over repair options, I turned up one, but I lost it in the general shuffle of windows, duties, and cases. Here it is, and I hope it can help you with this problem:

http://repair-my-device.com/repairs/ebook-reader/kobo-repair.html

That's really the only Kobo repair option I found, except if your Kobo device's battery were defective (and it does not sound as if it is.) I hope it helps.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** place is in UK; I don't think that will be practical for my use. To answer your earlier query, yes it will run for however long I wanted to read. So I guess that it is the on/off switch that has become dysfunctional. And I wonder if anybody can replace the switch.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 days ago.

Nobody that I know of, except the one link I have already mentioned. I did do quite a search.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 days ago.

You're welcome.

I did not know previously that you were in Australia - I might be able to find a repair place there specifically. (What region are you in, please? NSW, V, etc.)

Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 days ago.

Try calling

00-11-800-3322-3344

for repair services on your Kobo tablet in Australia (- provided this is not a number for Borders, which I hear has failed as a business in Australia.)

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you Russell , I will try it. So far I have enquired with the shop and they told me to contact the company. The charges will be comparable to the cost of a new device. So I am just going to give up on this issue. More trouble than its worth. I thank you for your help.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 days ago.

You're welcome. And thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.