Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a kindle eReader 2nd generation. The screen is nearly

Customer Question

I have a kindle eReader 2nd generation. The screen is nearly blank apart from a few horizontal "swiggles". Is it reparable? If so how do I go about it?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: it is over 10 years old, not sure of the make, but it has a keyboard.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It's been going on for 2 weeks. I have attempted to turn it off, then on again, but because of the blank screen it is impossible to tell what is happening.
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not as yet, thank you
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 15 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

Expert:  Aric replied 15 days ago.

If the issue goes beyond that then it would indicate a hardware fault in the Kindle that does require repairs made to the unit. Given the age, it is not cost effective as the unit is getting on in year as far as electronics go and it is likely that it would not last much longer even after a costly repair. I would instead suggest purchasing a new Kindle from Amazon. You will be able to transfer all of your books and downloaded content once the new device is registered to your Amazon account.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.