GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

I am unable to access my books on my kindle touch. I was

Customer Question

I am unable to access my books on my kindle touch. I was reading and then it notified me that my books were no longer on my kindle, but they still show in the index.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is a kindle touch and is approx. 5 yrs. old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It just started about 1 hour ago, and I tried reloading the books again from my account.
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: the pages have been slow to respond to my touch
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. If you login to www.amazon.com/myk are your books all listed under the content tab?

If so, then I recommend resetting your Kindle touch. This kind of problem is often the result of a "glitch" in the software. If you do have to reset it to factory defaults, you don't have to be concerned about losing your books. The books that you have purchased from your Kindle will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future.

Please do the following:

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button or switch in the OFF position for about 20 seconds.

Release the button or switch, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

If this doesn't work, please repeat the steps and this time hold the power button or switch in the off position for a full 40 seconds. This should reset the Kindle to factory defaults. You will know that it successfully reset to factory defaults, if it reset the Kindle back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. Did it do that? If not, please try it again, being sure to hold the power button for a FULL 40 seconds. If it did require you to set it up again, then the factory reset was successful.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Downloading Books To Kindle After Factory Reset

After resetting the Kindle, just make sure when you set it back up that you use the same Amazon email address and password ***** you are currently using. After setting up the Kindle, please login to your account at Amazon.com. Select YOUR ACCOUNT. From the drop down menu that appears, please select MANAGE YOUR DEVICES AND CONTENT. On the page that appears next, you will see a CONTENT Tab and a DEVICES Tab. On the CONTENT tab you will see all of your Kindle book purchases. You can sort them by title, author or purchase date. Please locate the book that you want to download to your Kindle, select it by checking it and then click on the ACTIONS column. Choose deliver as the action. Select your device from the Device list. If you have more than one Kindle, make sure that you choose the Kindle that you are actively using. Don't select the Kindle Cloud reader unless you have downloaded the Kindle Cloud Reader APP to a computer or device other than your Kindle and wish to read it there.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem., would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If you need more help, please tell me exact model of your Kindle. If you're not sure, please look for a serial number. If you can't find it on the Kindle, you can find it on the Manage Your Kindle page of your Amazon account (in the Manage Your Devices section).