Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an original kindle with key board. It has suddenly

Customer Question

I have an original kindle with key board. It has suddenly stopped working. The light is green. Charge is up. But when I toggle the little switch nothing happens.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is just labeled Amazonkindle. Same with quick start instruction book. Probably 10+ yrs. old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just yesterday when I picked it up to read. I don't have any trouble shooting info. I pressed all buttons to try to wake it up.
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I am assuming it is shot. I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I'm not into tablets, etc. Just want an e reader and one that I could add Amazon's audio if desired on individual books. I want to be able to share with my wife who has the same orginal kindle. Bought at same time. We have never figured out how to share.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

If the unit does not startup normally beyond that point, then it would need to be replaced. In this case, any of the current Kindle offerings will work, and once purchased and registered (simply by using your Amazon username and password) you will then "Sync" the device to your Amazon account and all of your downloaded content will upload onto the new Kindle. The list of various Kindles can be viewed at the link below if you would like to read up on them:

https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=6669702011&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=161175221967&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5560426725104719568&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_23dflcpo5n_e

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

As far as "sharing" books, or what Amazon refers to as "Loaning" you can click the link below to see details on how to do that:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320&ref=cssoc_FM_RE_KLN

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.