Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Several years of occasional experience with aspects of E-Reader technology.
13568747

I am unable to get my nook connected to the wifi. It keeps

Customer Question

I am unable to get my nook connected to the wifi. It keeps telling me something about an authentication problem.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I am sorry I cannot continue right now I will try again another time.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: not sure what you mean by troubleshooting.I have followed all the prompts and have asked others to help me. I have had the nook since early summer. It was sent to me for a replacement for my other nook because the face on the nook was frozen. I took it in to B&N techinican and he could not fix the problem so they sent me another one and I cannot get it started.
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just how to get it going so I can use it!
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 15 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The authentication problem could be one of two things:

- either you are not entering anything like the correct 'passphrase' for access to your WiFi

or

- you are entering it correctly, EXCEPT for the difference between UPPER CASE and lower case letters.

So I advise you to double-check your passphrase. And also make sure you are entering it correctly, as to the distinction between upper-case and lower-case letters in the passphrase.

- another thought: are you selecting the right WiFi router (or, 'SSID' or wireless network name) to connect to? the right passphrase will never work on the wrong router, in all likelihood.

- and about that: Has your local wifi router been reset recently, just before the problem began? that would reset its passphrase, and probably its SSID name also, to default values. To check on this, look for whether the SSIDs with the strongest signal do not have familiar names, etc. Also try to recollect whether this might have happened lately.

I am aware that an authentication problem may be something else also. In case the above does not cover the problem, there are these considerations:

1: what is the exact error message about Authentication? it could be important.

2: does any other device, including for instance a friend's handheld, get connected to the local WiFi with good results and without authentication errors?

Trying to connect to WiFi with another device might help with this problem, by showing whether or not something is wrong with WiFi router or with its passphrase.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.