Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of E-Readers
32989067

My Kindle got water damage. It put it in rice for 3 days but

Customer Question

Hi, my Kindle got water damage. It put it in rice for 3 days but it still doesn't want to switch on? What can I do? Where can I take it for repairs?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Kindle PaperWhite 2014 - 3G
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: My kindle was in my gym bag trapped under water in my car, our basement parking flooded. When they pulled my car out of water I immediately put it in rice for 3 days. I then put it on charge for 30 min and tried to switch it on. Nothing happens. I haven't done any other trouble shouting. What can I try?
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope that's all the info I can give you, thanks
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This can be an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I still not working.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Thanks

The mainboard has shorted out, the water damage caused this.

The problem is the mainboard is 80% of the value of the device and unless in cases of warranty, they do not offer to replace this as the cost including labor would exceed the value of purchasing a replacement Kindle. You will need to purchase a new kindle. But all your books are linked to your amazon account, so when you set up the new kindle all your books will then be available again.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you