Josh, Technician
Experience:  E-reader expert
50836188

I've had a kindle fire for about 3 or 4 years and I LIVE

Customer Question

hi. I've had a kindle fire for about 3 or 4 years and I LIVE with it. Mostly read books. Recently my husband gave me a paperweight. I called amazon help to set it up and they sent me to MCT. spent almost a whole day on the phone. Still can't understand what's going on. MCT charged me $400 - I could have bought two new Fire's of that!!! I don't want to pay them and they didn't transfer all kindle fire content to the paperweight. In addition I don't like the paperweight format. Help thank you. ***** *****on
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: I'm not sure I understand the question. I have a kindle fire and a kindle paperwhite. which one do you call a phone?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It's only been going on for about 4 or 5 days. My Fire battery is apparently dead. I have tried the holding the button down, etc. per instructions on line.
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think what I want to do is return the paperweight. I don't like it. And if necessary order a new Fire instead. If I do that, can I transfer all content from old fire to new one even though the old fire won't charge?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

Susan,

I am not sure who MCT is but you shouldn't have to pay anywhere close to $400 to fix your issue. With that issue, please contact your bank and file a dispute for the $400 charge so that you are not responsible for it.

In regards ***** ***** current Kindle... How old is the Paperwhite?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok. let's get started.
Just got the paperweight about 10 days ago - an early Christmas present from my husband. It's in his name.
sorry - paperwhite.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

All Kindle devices will transfer the data across each e-reader as long as they are registered to the same Amazon account and connected to Wi-Fi.

Would you like to return your Paperwhite or try to fix it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like to return the paperwhite for refund AND get my fire to work. I won't pay MCT for their efforts.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

Sure!

Click here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-history?ie=UTF8&ref_=nav_youraccount_orders&

Sign into your account if prompted

Next to the Paperwhite order -- Click on Return Item and follow the steps to start the return process.

Now onto your Fire-- what is wrong with it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the fire won't charge. I have tried the "hold the button down" advice, but to no avail. I think the battery
is dead. From what I've read, that means I have to buy a kit to fix the battery. I'm not very handy with that
sort of thing, but will try rather than having my husband pay for the kindle paper and me pay $400 to those
people who are, i think, in California.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
P.S. I am a "senior" living on social security and want to avoid any expenditures I can.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

I am not sure how you reached a company called MCT and they were trying to charge your $400.

There are two variations of the "hold button" -- Try this one:

Please plug in your Kindle for 5 minutes then hold down the power button for 45seconds while it is plugged in until the Kindle reboots. It can take 2-3 minutes for the complete reboot process. Allow another 10 minutes for a charge.

If that does not work then please let me know when you purchased the Kindle

If the issue is resolved, if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've done as you recommended, but no response yet. I can't remember how long I've had this kindle. At least 4 years. I ordered it from Amazon, so perhaps you can tell from my account. I'm still waiting to see if there is life in the Fire still. Susan
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

I do not have access to your account information -- I am only a technician but if it is over a year old then it is not covered under warranty anymore.

If the Kindle never comes back on...

If the above steps did not work then there is a hardware issue with your Kindle.

Since you are outside of the warranty period (1 year warranty) Kindle will probably not issue a replacement but they normally give great discounts for a current Amazon customer to upgrade to the Kindle Fire.

In SOME cases they will grant the 1year warranty for a customer and give you a replacement. That is completely up to Amazon and is on a case to case basis that I have no control over.

Please call Amazon here ---> 1-***-***-****

Let them know that your Kindle has hardware issues and you need a replacement

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue