GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

I haven't been able to connect to wi fi with my unit for

Customer Question

I haven't been able to connect to wi fi with my unit for several days. It says edge before the bar. I cant buy books.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Its the basic device and I had it replaced about two years ago maybe three
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: a few days. I tried fully charging it and keep trying to get access but no luck
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Viet - E-reader Tech replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your device?

Can you please press and hold (or slide and hold) the power on / off button / switch on your device for about 45 seconds, then turn it back on and check.

Does it show your wi-fi / wireless network name?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Also, what's the make / model of your internet modem / router device?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
still no luck modelD00901
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it shows EDGE and only 1 bar then no bar
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all set thank you
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. My name is Alison.

This problem and many others are often the result of a "glitch" in the software. Luckily, it is easily fixed.

Please do the following:

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button or switch in the OFF position for about 20 seconds.

Release the button or switch, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

If this doesn't work, please repeat the steps and this time hold the power button or switch in the off position for a full 40 seconds. This should reset the Kindle to factory defaults. You will know that it successfully reset to factory defaults, if it reset the Kindle back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. Did it do that? If not, please try it again, being sure to hold the power button for a FULL 40 seconds. If it did require you to set it up again, then the factory reset was successful.

If you do have to reset it to factory defaults, you don't have to be concerned about losing your books. The books that you have purchased from your Kindle will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future.

Please let me know if you need any assistance with getting your books reloaded. Thanks!

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

If the information that I have provided has been helpful, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. Thank you and have a good night!