Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Kindle Fire that I purchased Dec 2011. I only use

Customer Question

I have a Kindle Fire that I purchased Dec 2011. I only use it for downloading and reading books. Yesterday morning I turned it off and went about daily errands. When I returned and tried to turn on my Kindle Fire nothing happened. The power button did not light up green. I tried numerous times. I then tried plugging it in to the charger, but the power button did not light up red as if charging. HELP.
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right ereader specialist for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: What does my TV have to do with the Kindle Fire?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It started yesterday not turning on. I went thru my Kindle user guides and it said when Kindle unresponsive to try a hard restart by pressing power button for 20 seconds. Didn't work!. I wondered if the rechargeable battery was bad given my Kindle is now 5 years old this December. Do you have any ideas why it suddenly stopped working?
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing other than what I have advised you. Thank you for your help.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Please ignore the bizarre questions above- you were talking to a computer. I am the actual tech helping you.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

This very well could be caused by a bad battery in the Kindle, however we have NO way of knowing that until you try a hard reset as follows (which is slightly different than what you've tried so far).

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If those steps do not work, then reply back with which specific model Kindle Fire you have and I can locate the replacement battery for you (Kindle Fire 7 HD, etc.).

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.