Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

I have an amazon kindle fire. The screen went black and it

Customer Question

I have an amazon kindle fire. The screen went black and it won't take a charge.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Model is GU045RW. I don't see a date on it. It is two to three years old, I think.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It happened yesterday. I am a 73 year old woman, and I am not very tech savy.
JA: Anything else you want the ereader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is not just a reader. It has games, gmail, facebook, books, movies, etc. I am a member of amazon prime.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you are having this problem. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

This problem and many others are often the result of a "glitch" in the software. Luckily, it is easily fixed.

Please do the following:

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button or switch in the OFF position for about 20 seconds.

Release the button or switch, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

If this doesn't work, please repeat the steps and this time hold the power button or switch in the off position for a full 40 seconds. This should reset the Kindle to factory defaults. You will know that it successfully reset to factory defaults, if it reset the Kindle back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. Did it do that? If not, please try it again, being sure to hold the power button for a FULL 40 seconds. If it did require you to set it up again, then the factory reset was successful.

If you do have to reset it to factory defaults, you don't have to be concerned about losing your books. The books that you have purchased from your Kindle will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

I'm terribly sorry, but it doesn't look as though you are online right now and I am about to log off for the evening. I will check back in with you first thing in the morning. Thank you for your patience.