Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

My kobo touch, all of a sudden, wouldn't open Overdrive

Customer Question

my kobo touch, all of a sudden, wouldn't open Overdrive E-pub books from the library. I've factory reset, downloaded newer and then older version of ADE and have reauthorized and now when my Kobo is plugged into the computer it shows as (0) books which is not correct and gives me an "Activation error" message when I try to download library books
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Kobo Touch
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: a month now, I've tried calling Adobe Digital. They told us the problem is with the Overdrive account which our local library book service. THey told us to stop using Adobe DE v 4 or higher and go back to version 3. Then we had an activation error. I am at wits end. I am able to see and read books on my PC but when I drag them to the KOBO reader error messages appear.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Did you get that?????
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: E-Readers
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I am not quite sure that I get the situation.

Where did the activation error occur, on the computer, or on the e-reader?

What books do you fail to have read on the KOBO reader device?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
activation error pops up on the PC when in the Adobe DE on screen libray, when dragging the books from the desk top to the Kobo Touch. Title of the book is Fallen Angels File Type: Adobe EPUB | 357229. I checked it out as an ebook from the City Public Library.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Does the activation error occur when trying to open/use other books from other sources?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. Only when downloading the book from the libray. I can read the book on my PC desk top, but get an error messages after I drag it to the Kobo area.""Error Message: Oops! This document couldn't be opened. This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again.""Yesterday a pop up said activation error.

Authorization or permissions are obviously the problem in either case.

I think you might have to do one of these things:

1. sign in again, on your Kobo, to your Adobe or other account. Or, your account with that online library. *Then* try dragging a book from that library onto the Kobo.

2. reset your Kobo e-reader, to a lesser (first try) or a greater (second try) extent.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay Thanks. I will try that. I want to sign off now. Before I do please tell me What did this cost on my credit card?

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

*****@******.***

or through phone or Chat listed on

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

(A rating for my work and my answer would be good... unless you will be coming back later for that. Thanks, ***** *****)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot rate you until I follow the advice. Will do it later.

OK, that's fine. Have a good evening/day/night.