Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician

My Kindle Reader will not charge. The battery is completely

Customer Question

My Kindle Reader will not charge. The battery is completely depleted and the device will not reset
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I Don't have that information. The Kindle is about 6 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I charged it up last week so it has been since te battery ran down. I have tried plugging it in and resetting but neither one works
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have 50-60 books on y kindle and want to save them.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 20 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. This problem and many others are often the result of a "glitch" in the software. Luckily, it is easily fixed.

Please do the following:

Remove the charger from the Kindle (is it's plugged in) and hold the power button or switch in the OFF position for about 20 seconds.

Release the button or switch, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

If this doesn't work, please repeat the steps and this time hold the power button or switch in the off position for a full 40 seconds. This should reset the Kindle to factory defaults. You will know that it successfully reset to factory defaults, if it reset the Kindle back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. Did it do that? If not, please try it again, being sure to hold the power button for a FULL 40 seconds. If it did require you to set it up again, then the factory reset was successful.

If you do have to reset it to factory defaults, you don't have to be concerned about losing your books. The books that you have purchased from your Kindle will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future.

Please give this a try and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I tried this twice and it did not work. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I have taken the back off my Kindle but don't see anything amiss or anything that would fix the problem
Expert:  GeekGal replied 20 days ago.

I am terribly sorry for the delay in responding. For some reason I wasn't notified about your response. If the factory reset didn't work, then the most common cause is the cable itself. It is very common for them to develop a short. Do you have another cable that you can try? If not I can provide links to a replacement cable that you can purchase.