GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds

I cant swipe my kindle fire to enter my password. Kindle

Customer Question

I cant swipe my kindle fire to enter my password.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Kindle Fire. About 4 yrs old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just today. Tried rebooting.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 17 days ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. I'd be happy to help you with this. This problem and many others are often the result of a "glitch" in the software. Luckily, it is easily fixed.

Please do the following:

Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button or switch in the OFF position for about 20 seconds.

Release the button or switch, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

If this doesn't work, please repeat the steps and this time hold the power button or switch in the off position for a full 40 seconds. This should reset the Kindle to factory defaults. You will know that it successfully reset to factory defaults, if it reset the Kindle back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. Did it do that? If not, please try it again, being sure to hold the power button for a FULL 40 seconds. If it did require you to set it up again, then the factory reset was successful.

If you do have to reset it to factory defaults, you don't have to be concerned about losing your books. The books that you have purchased from your Kindle will continue to be available at the Amazon website under My CONTENT if you should wish to download them again at some point in the future.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.