Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, System Administrator
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

My wifi contacts allshow a padlock so I cant access my

Customer Question

my wifi contacts allshow a padlock so I cant access my reader--solution
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Its apaperwhite about 4 yrs old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: about one month - tried entering password ***** evidently wrong
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

It will depend on what wifi you are trying to connect too.

Are you using it at your home location to connect and dont know the password?

If so, please make sure you have access to a computer and send me your router make and model

and we can continue from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
router make cisco systems -- model wrt 54gs

Are you using it at your home location to connect and dont know the password ***** at someone elses

house or place with their router? And do you see the word linksys on the router?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am at home and my router is link sys

Please go to your computer and follow the guide below:

Change Username and Password

Step 1

Log in to your Linksys router using the Web interface. Type "http://192.168.1.1" in your browser's address bar. If you are still using the Linksys default username and password, leave the Username field blank and enter "admin" as the password.

Step 2

Click the "Administration" tab in the Linksys interface. Under the Management sub-page, you will see your current username and password; change both to something that will be difficult for others to guess.

Step 3

Click "Save Settings."

OR

Restore to Factory Settings

Step 1

Locate the "Reset" button on your Linksys router. On some routers, it is on the back of the device, while on others, it is on the bottom. The button is recessed in a small hole and you will need a pen or paper clip to press it.

Step 2

Hold the "Reset" button for 30 seconds; the Power button should blink as you do this. Release the button, and then unplug the router from the wall for another 30 seconds.

Step 3

Plug the router back in. Connect your computer via Ethernet and log in to the Linksys router using the default settings. All of your settings have been erased, so you'll need to reconfigure your wireless network and set a new admin username and password.

You can use either of these methods, but please remember, if you change the password ***** then reboot your

computer, find the new wifi network you just set and log in with the new password. It will change your other

device connections. When they prompt you to connect, use your new password ***** anything now connected and

using that router will need the new password ***** log in.

Let me know if you get stuck.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help--However I am 86 yrs old and not computer savvy so those directions are "Greek" to me. I think I"ll revert to hard copies--Much simpler.

Okay, if you change your mind, you can come back or i can send you a remote support offer and go into your

computer with you and help you change it.

Let me know what you would like to do if you decide to continue.

~Franklin