Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert

Touch screen on kindle paperwhite does not respond. i can

Customer Question

touch screen on kindle paperwhite does not respond. i can reload etc but when touch screen nothing happens
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 1 year old paperwhite had water spilage
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: rebooting works to get screen image
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
reboot brings back main screen with power screen as well. screen does not respond to touch
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trying.

That does tend to indicate a hardware fault, meaning a defective digitizer (touch sensor).

Repeat the reboot 4-5 more times as it can take several tries to take effect.

If still no change, plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
touch screen still not working
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trying.

Unfortunately that does confirm a hardware failure. While it is possible to fix, it is usually not practical to do so, unless the kindle is still under warranty. It will cost around $100 to repair it, and you could buy a brand new kindle for as little as $50:

When you receive your replacement kindle, once it is registered and connected to wifi, all of your existing books/purchases will sync to the new kindle, so you won’t lose any of the content you’ve previously purchased.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 28 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?