Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert

My Kindle does not open - it is frozen. I have tried holding

Customer Question

My Kindle does not open - it is frozen. I have tried holding the bar for 40 seconds but nothing. What can I do. Is it now too old to save
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I don't know the make it is an Amazon Kindle purchased 2 Feb 2011 I his wi fi with 3G
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It just happened yesterday and I tried the hold the bar for 40 seconds but it didn't work.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only other thing I would like to know is if I got another Kindle can the books in my old one be transferred
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Phyllis,

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Note: Timing is critical here, too long or too short won't work, use a timer if necessary, and be sure you are holding the power (not volume) button, and if there is a case/cover on it or charger connected remove all. You may need to repeat this process 4-5 times before the reset takes effect.