GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

I have a Kobo Glo and my computer is no longer detecting it

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Kobo Glo and my computer is no longer detecting it when I plug it in. I have tried 2 different cords and 3 different USB ports. I decided to try my mother's Kobo Glo and that one works perfectly. When I plug it in I do click connect and then it says connected and charged but I am unable to do anything else with it such as add books or even eject the e-reader.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I know it is a Kobo Glo, unsure of where other information may be but I have had it for about 3 years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have only had this problem today but I have not added it to the computer for a couple months now. I have tried restarting the computer, trying different cords, different USB ports, and I have pushed the reset button on the bottom. I am hesitant to do a factory reset because then I'll lose all my books
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's about it
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry that you are having this problem. I will do my best to help you with this. I think a factory reset would be the logical next step. The good news is that you won't lose all of your books. The reset to factory defaults will of course remove them from the reader but they will be restored when you sync your Kobo via wifi or via connection to your computer.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

By the way, I see that you had to wait for quite some time for help. I am sorry about that.

Here is further information on Factory Resetting the Kobo Glo:

Performing a factory reset

If a basic reset doesn't work, you can perform a factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings. After a factory reset, you’ll have to set up and sync your eReader again.

If you perform a factory reset on your eReader, you'll:

• Remove all books from your eReader. Any books you purchased from Kobo can be re-downloaded from the Kobo Cloud after a factory reset.
  • Lose any bookmarks and annotations you made in your books since you last synced your eReader.
  • Sign out of your account on your eReader.
  • Reset all of your settings and preferences.
  • Return your eReader to its original settings.
  1. If possible, back up any books or documents that you added to your eReader using Adobe Digital Editions, or that you manually added using your computer. You do not need to back up any books you bought from Kobo. Any books you purchased from Kobo can be re-downloaded from the Kobo Cloud after a factory reset.
  2. Go to your Home screen.
  3. Tap the Menu icon at the top of the screen.
    The Quick Settings panel will appear.
  4. Tap Settings.
  5. Tap Device information.
  6. Tap Factory Reset under Advanced.
  7. Tap Reset Now.

Performing a manual factory reset

If a basic reset and a factory reset don't work, you can try a manual factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings. After a manual factory reset, you'll need to set up and sync your eReader again. Before you perform a manual factory reset, charge your eReader for at least four hours.

1. If possible, turn off your eReader.
    Note: If your eReader doesn't turn off, try pressing and holding the power button until you see Powered off on your screen.
  2. Insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently.
    You'll feel a click and your eReader will reset itself.
  3. When you see square icons on the screen, insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently.
  4. Repeat step 3 two more times.
    Your eReader's screen will turn black, and show a Critical error message. Don't worry, this is normal.
  5. Tap the check mark icon at the bottom of the screen to reset your eReader.

Setting up your eReader after a factory reset

After you've performed a factory reset on your eReader, you'll need to set it up again.

1. Set up your eReader using Wi Fi or Kobo Desktop.
  2. Sync your library to restore any Kobo books you own.
  3. Reconfigure any settings you changed.
  4. Add any books or documents you previously added using Adobe Digital Editions, a Micro SD card, or drag-and-drop on your computer.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Here's a link to the Kobo Glo user manual. I thought it might be helpful.

http://download.kobobooks.com/magento/userguides/downloads/KoboGlo/koboglo_userguide_en.pdf