GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds

I have done the steps suggested by Josh concerning my Kindle

Customer Question

I have done the steps suggested by Josh concerning my Kindle Fire not able to be charged .They have not worked . This has cost me $90 00 so far .Im wondering if there are more things to try.I believe my kindle to be about 2yrs old (am unable to tell what it is exactly as it is secondhand and Amazon does not seem to have that knowledge )There is very little charge left in the device.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi Paddy. I'm sorry that you're having this problem and I will do my very best to help you.

This problem and many others are often the result of a "glitch" in the software. Luckily, it is easily fixed.

You've probably already done a soft reset, with the following steps:

1. Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button or slide the switch (depending on your model you will have either a button or a sliding switch) in the OFF position for about 20 seconds.
  2. Release the button or switch, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.

Since that did not solve your problem, you will need to do a full factory reset. This time hold the power button or switch in the off position for a full 40 seconds. This should reset the Kindle to factory defaults.This will reset the Kindle back to the way it was at the time of purchase. If the device requires you to set it up again, then the factory reset was successful.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

If even a full factory reset is not successful, then you have a hardware issue. The problem could possibly be with the charging cable. It is very common for charging cords for any electronic device to fail, as they are easily damaged if they are bent sharply or wrapped tightly when stored. I can send you a link for a replacement charging/sync cable IF I know what type of Kindle you have. Do you see a serial number anywhere on the device? That would help me to determine the model.

If you don't see one, please go to SETTINGS and DEVICE INFO on the Kindle and tell me what you see.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried the cable on my laptop with success so it is not that ! It would appear that the wall charger is sensitive to power surges .I have replaced it and alls good . Thanks Im hoping I am not to be charged for this message !!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there Paddy. You aren't charged for followup questions and comments. I am happy to hear that all is well.

Would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! As an independent contractor (not an hourly or salaried employee), without a rating I am not compensated in any way for my answer. Thanks for allowing me to assist you. Have a great day!