Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician

I am attempting to manually update my Kindle 2nd Generation

Customer Question

i am attempting to manually update my Kindle 2nd Generation Wireless. I have downloaded the correct software versions and then copied them to my Kindle root direcetory, as instructed. I followed online instructions from Amazon and it said it was "updating", then "updated completed" and the Kindle restarted. When I checked my settings, the old version was still showing. I followed online troubleshooting directions 3 times, did not work, then I called Tech support and they had me do factory reset, then reinstall. Same message, "update completed" but it is still showing older version. Tech support said they could not help (guy reading from a manual, useless). I'm stuck because without the update I can't access the internet.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Kindle
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Kindle 2nd Generation, wireless. Troubleshooting said to restart Kindle, then connect to computer and recopy software versions, then unplug Kindle from PC and go into settings and click on update. It only works once though. I called Tech support and the moron had me reset my kindle, then recopy software and try to reinstall. It said it reinstalled but when I checked settings, it still shows prior version and not new updated version. Current version is 2.5.3 and it should be 2.5.8
JA: The eReader expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I'm sure he will ask what he needs to know
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Hi Jane,

• Swipe down from the top of the screen to open Quick Settings, and then tap More.
  • Tap Device, and then tap About. If you have the latest software update, it should look like this: 10.5.1_user_5174820

Does it look like that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a Kindle 2nd generation, wireless, it does not "swipe". I have to use the toggle to go to menu, settings. It shows software version 2.5.3, not the installed version of 2.5.8
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

I apologize -- I thought you said Kindle Fire 2nd generation.

I am here. It can take more than 1 minute for a reply sometimes. Please allow a minute or two for a reply.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you can't help, please refund my $5.00 deposit. Thanks
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Did you download the Software update 2.5.8 and the Kindle services update files?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did not work. Then followed troubleshooting directions and did it 3 more times. As I previously stated, I was then instructed per online troubleshooting to contact Tech Support for help. I was on the phone with them for 3 hours. It was a kid reading from a manual. I have an IT background and can follow directions. His final solution was to contact the developer and he will get back with me in a week to 10 days.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I apologize but my patience has been seriously stretched. I don't want to talk on the phone. I would just appreciate a simple solution to the problem, if one can be found. I have reset the kindle to factory default, reinstalled updates and nothing has worked so far, even though Kindle said update was installed and completed and it automatically restarted. I was told to go back into settings and verify software version and it still shows the prior software version (2.5.3) and not the update 2.5.8
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please refund my $5.00 deposit immediately. I no longer wish to find a solution.