Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of E-Readers
32989067

I'm trying to set up an old eReader. However when I connect

Customer Question

Hello! I'm trying to set up an old eReader. However when I connect it to my laptop, while it is recognized and the popup asking me to setup is produced by the kobo desktop app, once I begin the setup and it asks me to sign in a problem occurs. I enter the login information and press continue, and in the background I see the app refresh and access my library with the books in it and display the balance of points in my account (so the info entered is correct and the app makes a successful connection with your servers), but instead of proceeding the sign in window pops up again! I cannot get past it through any means I've tried.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: About a week.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the app, signing in before starting the setup (so without being prompted), starting fresh with a new install and signing in without even connecting the ereader... I even tried going and fetching an older version of the desktop app online but it would not let me do anything and railroaded me into updating all the way to the version on your site today (which I get is so that your clients keep up with your software and terms, but it's really impractical when one of your versions has a bug that renders said version broken).
JA: The eReader expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I've tried this on multiple devices, I've even tried doing it over wifi with the ereader but it would not allow me to sign into the kobo account (however I suspected this is a separate issue since both occured without either device being linked to the other).
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 months ago.

I will be the person helping you today.

I would like to offer my support in the way of a Secure Remote Assistance session. In my experiences, remote support saves a lot of time for everybody and is safer because if instructions are not followed correctly, it may make the problem worse or create a new problem.

As a side note, both options are covered by a 100% guarantee and fully refundable, if we are not able to fix your problem.

If you wish to choose the first option, please let me know so we can begin. If you wish to choose the remote session offer, click the Accept this Offer button for Secure Remote Assistance.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not wish to spend that amount of money on this, I could just contact kobo directly but this avenue is out of convenience of time. I am capable with computers and following instructions so we can try interacting textually. :)

Okay. Have you ran the Kobo Desktop app in compatibility mode?

Which version of Windows are you running?

When is the last time that it worked correctly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have not tried compatibility, running Windows 10 Home, and we recently changed home computers and hadn't used the other on which the desktop app worked for a significant amount of time (so on a previous version of the Desktop app most likely),

Thank you for the update. Please, run the application in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and report back with your results.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tried and I still encounter the same sign in problem

Okay, without seeing the problem with my own eyes via the remote, there is nothing else that I can do. Are you still against me remoting in and fixing this for you? If so, that is okay; however, I will need to opt out of the task and allow someone else to continue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I could give you a step by step description that will transmit the information that you would gather by observing the problem. However if that is not an option then yes, I'm afraid that that is not a price I am willing to pay :/

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Alrighty, thanks a lot for trying! Have a good night.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

As a test, can you right click on your desktop and choose Display Settings, then Advance.

Increase the screen resolution and then try the program

If it does not work, try decreasing the resolution

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My settings were at max resolution so I tried all the lower ones with the same results.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

DO you have another computer to try this on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah tried it on our desktop computer and on my laptop with the same results. Does that indicate a problem with the app's software?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

No, it is happening with other computers its the reader at fault, the software works fine.

It may also be your account, as a test, make a new account here

https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/article/2009/creating-a-kobo-account

Tell me if it works with the new account please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Alright I'll try that :) However I don't have access to the ereader at this time, I'll get back to you in about a day.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, thank you