GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds

My computer does not see the Kindle, First time that I try

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: My computer does not see the Kindle
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: First time that I try connecting my Kindle to this computer
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none, I am not good with those things
JA: The eReader expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: it is an old Kindle, first model
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the eReader Specialist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Randy Boman replied 3 months ago.

I can check on this for you with a Secure Remote Session if you need me to.

You may have to uninstall the Kindle in the Device Manager and then re-attach the Kindle to get it to work.

Follow these steps please.

1. Have your PC on and your Kindle attached via the USB cable

2. Go to the Start menu and select/open the Control Panel

3. In the control panel, select System

4. When the System panel opens, select Device Manager option on the left side of the panel

5. When the Device Manager opens, look for the listing "Portable Devices". This is where your Kindle should be listed.

6. If the triangle to the left of "Portable Devices" is pointing right, click the triangle to open the listings in "Portable Devices"

7. If you see "Kindle" with an exclamation point inside a yellow triangle, then your Kindle driver isn't working properly. If you see "Kindle" just by itself, then the driver is working correctly and you're having another issue. It might be your Fire itself. (If you don't see anything, then I'm guessing Windows didn't even install a driver for your Kindle and you'll have to try and find one to install).

8. Assuming you see that warning symbol next to "Kindle", right mouse button click on "Kindle" and a menu will open up. You should see an option "Uninstall". Select this option and confirm you want to uninstall the driver by clicking OK.

9. After the driver is uninstalled, disconnect and then reconnect the USB cable from/to your Kindle Fire. Windows should reinstall the driver and it should be working now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no Portable devices in the Device manager

Okay, click on the arrow to the left of Drives or Disk drives in device Mgr please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was Disk drives
Now appeared ST1000LM014-1EJ164

Okay, does it work now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You mean I should see the kindle now?
I don't see it
Where sould it be seen?
  1. Connect your Kindle to your computer with the USB cable.

Your Kindle appears in the same location on your computer that external USB drives appear.

• Windows: Your Kindle will appear in the Computer or My Computer folder.

2. Open the Kindle folder, and then open the documents folder.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
External memory stick appears like any other disk drive under This PC but the kindle does not appear.
This was the initial situation...
The computer detects the kindle for two seconds (the ESET Antivirus posts a message) but then everything disappears.

Follow these steps please>CLICK HERE<

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No use
On my computer the main Eset screen does not provide the instruction Personal firewall so I can not edit it.
After Update the next instruction is Web and Email skipping personal firewall
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Until now all answers were unapplicable even from the first step
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this if you still need assistance. If you'd like, I can connect to your computer and fix the problem while you watch at no additional charge. If you'd like for me to do that, please let me know and I will provide instructions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not sure I can do that, it is a company computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

ok. I understand. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to troubleshoot without remotely connecting. I'll opt out to see if perhaps another expert has other ideas.