Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician
Experience:  E-Reader Technician
62741268

My Kindle paperwhite will not charge - has been plugged in

Customer Question

My Kindle paperwhite will not charge - has been plugged in about 10 hours - light will not come on - haven't used for a while
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Printer? It's my Kindle - several years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Held button down 30 minutes - nothing
JA: The eReader expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the eReader Specialist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Randy Boman replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

Lets try a hard reboot first please> Sometimes this is caused by a glitch in the firmware and can be resolved by a forced reboot, other times it is due to failed hardware, if it is a glitch then your kindle will work normally again. Slide or press and hold the power switch for 40 seconds, then release.

Let me know if this does not work and we can try another solution.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance or if everything is good, take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did not work

I am sorry about this,unfortunately this sounds like it might be a hardware issue. We will need to rule out the possibility of a firmware issue by resetting the software, using a force reset method while USB charging. If this fails then there is an hardware issue on the device that software troubleshooting can't resolve. Try these steps please>Connect the usb charger to the kindle and a wall outlet charger. Then Slide or press and hold the power switch for 40 second, then release. Repeat the steps again a few times if it fails. If that fails and you are sure that the charger is working properly then that means the kindle has a hardware failure.
Usually the cost to repair is too much and the best option is to purchase a new or refurbished kindle which is a good value,

You can read the books from another device or computer while you are getting the kindle replaced with the Kindle app which is available for most major smartphones, tablets and computers. That means with your free Kindle reading apps, you can buy a Kindle book once, and read it on any device with the Kindle app installed.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance , also take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.

Thank you very much!